Stand in front of your closet. Take a deep breath and slowly observe everything in front of you. Dresses. Skirts. Pants. Shoes. Scarves. Everything. Now pull out ONE article of clothing. Do you love it? No, I mean really love it. Do you look and feel terrific when you wear it? Your confidence and personal power is palpable when you show up in this garment. If this describes how you feel about your choice, then Congratulations! you are on the right track with your wardrobe. Repeat this process with every item in your closet.
For each piece that earns the “wow” or “I love this” response, put it to one side of your closet. Continue until you have gone through your entire wardrobe. Tip, the best way to determine how a garment looks on you is to see it in a photo. Have a friend take photos of you in all the clothing you love. It will amaze you how much a photo can reveal.
Next, take a second, more scrutinizing collective look at the clothes hanging on the “yes” side of your closet.
- Review the colors that still work for you, even though you’ve changed your hair color.
- Is the fit still flattering?
- How is the condition of each garment? Does it need cleaning, repairs or is it just way past its shelf life?
- What about the style or theme? Does it still express who are are?
- What about the energy of the garment? Are you holding on for sentimental reasons and it’s just taking up space in your closet? Did your former boyfriend buy it for you and if he’s no longer around, do you really want to wear this garment? Yes, sometimes love deserves a second chance, but that’s people, not clothing.
To love every item in your closet, you must put aside the emotions, the financial value and sentiment. True love is a tall order. The color, fit, style, fabric, line and design must all be working together to create this fantastic garment that does not upstage you, but highlights you. That’s love!
What would it be like to feel this way about every article of clothing in your closet? Imagine waking up each day to a wardrobe that makes you feel Attractive, Confident and Powerful. A closet where Love Only lives.
Should It Stay or Go? The chart below was featured in the August 2013 edition of InStyle magazine. It will help you with the process of finding only love in your closet.
I thoroughly enjoy guiding women of all ages through this process of finding true love in their wardrobe.