Stand in front of your closet. Take a deep breath and slowly observe everything in front of you. Dresses. Skirts. Pants. Shoes. Scarves. Everything. Now pull out ONE article of clothing. Do you love it? No, I mean really love it. Do you look and feel terrific when you wear it? Your confidence and personal power is palpable when you show up in this garment. If this describes how you feel about your choice, then Congratulations! you are on the right track with your wardrobe. Repeat this process with every item in your closet.
For each piece that earns the “wow” or “I love this” response, put it to one side of your closet. Continue until you have gone through your entire wardrobe. Tip, the best way to determine how a garment looks on you is to see it in a photo. Have a friend take photos of you in all the clothing you love. It will amaze you how much a photo can reveal.
Next, take a second, more scrutinizing collective look at the clothes hanging on the “yes” side of your closet.
- Review the colors that still work for you, even though you’ve changed your hair color.
- Is the fit still flattering?
- How is the condition of each garment? Does it need cleaning, repairs or is it just way past its shelf life?
- What about the style or theme? Does it still express who are are?
- What about the energy of the garment? Are you holding on for sentimental reasons and it’s just taking up space in your closet? Did your former boyfriend buy it for you and if he’s no longer around, do you really want to wear this garment? Yes, sometimes love deserves a second chance, but that’s people, not clothing.
To love every item in your closet, you must put aside the emotions, the financial value and sentiment. True love is a tall order. The color, fit, style, fabric, line and design must all be working together to create this fantastic garment that does not upstage you, but highlights you. That’s love!
What would it be like to feel this way about every article of clothing in your closet? Imagine waking up each day to a wardrobe that makes you feel Attractive, Confident and Powerful. A closet where Love Only lives.
Should It Stay or Go? The chart below was featured in the August 2013 edition of InStyle magazine. It will help you with the process of finding only love in your closet.
I thoroughly enjoy guiding women of all ages through this process of finding true love in their wardrobe.
50. The new 40. But in our society 50 is a hallmark, a turning toward the downhill of age. At the stroke of 50, does one’s sense of style evaporate? Does fashion forward come to a halt and all heels over 1″ get donated to Goodwill? Will our knees be banished to longer skirts and our arms to show nevermore? Will Forever 21 really be forever? How about Finally 50. With 50 comes confidence, clarity and radiance. Maybe you love yourself more or maybe you care less what others think. Perhaps you have embraced your beauty, defined your authentic style and have a greater understanding of who you are as a woman. Or maybe you’re buckling to the pressure of the system. Keep reading….
Here’s the thing: As women we are wired to notice all the areas that are wrong with us. I’m suggesting a course correction. Let’s give ourselves permission to unplug from that old paradigm of thinking and see ourselves as the vibrant, alive, radiant and beautiful women we are.
At 50. More than ever, now is the time to showcase all of you — your pride, accomplishments, and your body with clothing and accessories that make you feel and look terrific. Upon reaching 50 you become an honorary member of a club that took courage, patience, hard work, commitment and self love to achieve. It is an uphill event all the way!
A word about acceptance. Contrary to what our mothers were faced with, we no longer have to accept the “over 50 and frumpy death sentence.” We can take a stand for who we are and how we want to express ourselves, at the glorious age of 50 and beyond. Society must accept us.
So, how high will your heels be?
I welcome your experiences and thoughts on joining this exclusive club of empowered women and invite you to comment below. Also, check out the ColorStyleStudio Pinterest board dedicated to women 50+ who are sporting grey hair, wearing contemporary and sexy clothing, all while embracing their beauty.
How many of us have purchased beautiful items of clothing only to let them sit in the closet because they don’t fit, aren’t the right color, not the right print or style, or you are simply done with this item — but can’t let it go? And when we have paid a lot of money for those items, it really stings not to use them. I know. I’ve been there.
I had a discussion recently with a friend about what we could do with all the lovely items we had in our closet we weren’t using from a specific designer. We realized that other women should have an opportunity to enjoy these beautiful pieces, as we once had. The problem — we paid a lot of money for them and really didn’t want to give them away. In addition, we were having a hard time letting them go. Yes, even though we didn’t wear these clothes, we didn’t want to release them. Once we decided to have a Designer Resale event and charge slightly for the clothes, that matter was resolved. However, we still didn’t want them to leave our closets!
We finally narrowed it down to a lack of trust. Yes, trust. We did not trust that we could replace what we had. We were concerned that nothing else would give us the WOW factor as these items had, and that no other clothing would look as stunning on us or make the same statement.
Addressing our belief and trust that the world is forever changing and providing us with opportunities, we were able to release and let go of our special pieces for others to enjoy.
There can be a kind of magic in letting go. When you release and let go, you create space for something more spectacular to come into your life, something you could not even imagine. I have a few new pieces in my closet to prove this theory!
Good News: The Designer Resale is now going to be an annual event! Stay tuned for more information!